Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Yummy Gummy Peaches

On a trip to our local CVS to pick up a prescription, Ella and Lily made it to the candy aisle. The candy is located at child eye level(Smart marketing if you ask me) and so i let them pick something small. In my rush to get out of the store, i hadn't really noticed what they had chosen until we got done. When i got in the car, i realized that Lily had chosen those peach gummies rings. Remember the ones i'm talking about? I know my friend Sara Parker would. I thought of her when i saw them and smiled. See, when we were in college-Sara and i were roomates and still really good friends-Sara came back to our room one night after running around in downtown Nashville telling me about this homeless guy she had seen on the street. He asked her for money and as usual Sara didn't have any but you know what she did have? Yes, these yummy peach gummies. And she said to the man when he asked for money "I don't have any, but take these peach gummies. See, that's the kind of person Sara is......she'll give the peach gummies which was the only thing she had.... because her heart is that big. She could have said no and kept walking but she didn't. For some reason, maybe it was the tears i saw in her eyes while she told me the story or maybe it was the way i felt when i realized how much she cared about a stranger, i've always remembered this. So when i saw that bag of peach gummies, i am reminded of my friend Sara Parker and how sometimes it's the little moments in life that can make us smile.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I miss Sara! The next time you talk to her, tell her I said hello!

The Hadfields said...

How sweet. She does have a big heart. Nice story!